Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Schindler elevators!!!



Its thinking time for me.Y?Because my boss isn’t around to keep me in the busy mode. Many times when I find my self in this state, I swirl my chair around to face the window and just look around or stare into space.


My office is on the 10th floor so my window overlooks a lot of places,the car park,Union Bank building,UBA, First Bank towers,Niger Insurance and many more building on Lagos Island.I can also see the National theater- distant, the third main-land bridge and the lagoon it crosses. I’ve got a very good view from my tiny cubicle I must say.


Yes,I’m sure you’re wondering whats with the topic…Shindler Elevators installed the elevator on our building, hence they are incharge of repair and maintenance.That elevator is the most unhealthy one I have come across in my whole life…While I was staring out my window, just doing some general faffing and a bit of thinking,I saw their van at the car park. Now I tell you that I see this van atleast 4 times in the 5working days we have, meaning the elevator’s faulty again,WTF…sorry WTH.I pity the unlucky person trapped in the elevator this time or the runner who’s got to go on an errand downstairs; cos he’ll have to climb the flight of stairs to and fro.For me,I dare not go for lunch at this crucial time- not that I’m lazy but truth be told,Its not easy climbing up 10 floors.


Was reading a friend’s blog sometime and he said he was trapped in the elevator for close to an hour.He had gone out to buy dinner and was heading home to eat what he had bought probably with a chilled bottle of drink he had saved up in the fridge watching his favorite tv series,or just doing dinner with his friends on the floor with their food spread out infront of them…Alas their expectations was cut short as they ended up eating in the elevator waiting for someone to help them escape.

Have you ever been trapped in an elevator with someone you’ve always wished to talk to and you just haven’t had that opportunity? Probably a girl/guy you like, or maybe your MD? What would you do/ say?

I remember those days in AIESEC, the MC used to ask this question during the ‘marketing/selling yourself’ session, if you happen to be in the same elevator with Bill Gates, what would you do/ say in the couple of seconds/minutes you have with him? My flat mate once told me she was in the same elevator with the CEO of Obat oil, Chief Obateru Akinruntan; and the only thing she did was say hi to him and secretly marvel at his height and good looks. She also told me how young he looked to be a CEO and a chief. Girls!! you would say. Well, that’s the average girl for you.

I’m imagining being on the same elevator with Wale Babalakin (my chairman) or Erastus Akingbola (MD,Intercontinental Bank) or Femi Otedola (MD Zenon) or Mike Adenuga (Chairman Globacom);will I be dumbfounded?Will I loose my voice…What will I say in the 1minute or so I find myself with any of these people.Thats some serious thought there that I have to put down sometime.

I think you should think about it too.

No comments: